Extraterrestrial (ET) means `outside the Earth`
Some scientists believe that ET life could develop
anywhere in the Universe where there is a flow of energy.
- most scientists believe that if there is ET life anywhere else in the Universe – it is probably based on the chemistry of carbon, as life on Earth is.
- if civilisations exist elsewhere – they maybe on planets circling other stars.
- there is no proof that any ET life form has ever visited Earth.
- search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) is a program for analysing radio signals from space for signs of intelligent life.
Arecibo Observatory, Puerto Rico
- Arecibo Observatory at Puerto Rico (photo) – beaming out a signal to distant stars to try to communicate with extraterrestrial life. (more information: wikipedia)
- Unfortunately on 1st December 2020, after suffering damage in recent months before December, the Arecibo Observatory radio telescope in Puerto Rico collapsed on December 1, because of cables that suspended a platform of scientific instruments above the dish snapped, causing the platform to fall into the dish – see the photo below.
>Watch collapse of the Arecibo Observatory (YouTube)
Did you know?
Gold plaque on the pioneer spacecraft
Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11
- the US Spacecraft Probes – Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11 are flown away from our Earth into deep space with picture message by gold plaques about life on Earth...
- Pioneer 10
– it’s heading away from our Earth generally in the direction of the red star Aldebaran (68 light-years away) – the eye of The Bull in the constellation of Taurus (The Bull).
– Pioneer 10 should arrive at Aldebaran in 2 million years time!
- Pioneer 11
– the other outward bound Pioneer 11 is headed into the constellation of Aquila (The Eagle).
– in four million years time, Pioneer 11 will pass near one of the stars in that constellation.
Back to The Universe page.