The largest asteroids are called planetoids.
- planetoid is another term for asteroids, which are also called minor planets.
- planetoids are small celestial bodies that orbit the Sun.
- minor planets can be dwarf planets, asteroids, trojans, centaurs, Kuiper beltÂ objects, and other trans-Neptunian objects.
- Objects in Kuiper Belt
– Â region of the solar system beyond the orbit of Neptune, believed to contain many comets, asteroids, and other small bodies made largely of ice.
– Â including Pluto and Charon are often termed Trans-Neptunian Objects (TNOs) because they are located beyond the orbit of the planet Neptune.
– Â more than 100,000Â Kuiper Belt Objects (KOBs) have been discovered.
– Â 70,000+ KBOs that are more than 60 miles in diameter.
- in the outer reaches of KBOs
– Â more than 80 AU from the Sun; astronomers have recently discovered several objects that rival or greater in size of Pluto.
- the largest object
Eris – it has a diameter of about 1,562 miles and also has a single moon – Disnomia.
Back to Â Solar SystemÂ page.