Astrochemistry is the application of the science of chemistry
to the universe and everything in it.
Modern chemistry – the study of molecules and their interactions, has developed almost exclusively at or near Earth’s surface, with its;
- pressure conditions
Its application to the rest of the universe , then, is not quite as direct or ubiquitous as physics is, even so, astrochemistry is extremely important to cosmic studies;
- interactions of chemistry in planetary atmosphere.
- surfaces, vital to understanding the planets and other bodies in the Solar System.
Many chemicals have been detected in interstellar gas clouds throughtout the Milky Way and other galaxies including;
- carbon monoxide
- acetone (using in nail polish remover)
- ethylene glycol (using in antifreeze)
- dihyroxyacetone (using in sunless tanning lotion.)
Back toÂ Exploring SpaceÂ page.