A possible supernova
Another Supernova has been discovered in Messier 99 (M99 / NGC4254) in the constellation of Coma Berenices (Berenice’s Hair).
It is currently a fairly faint – magnitude: +15.0, very close to the nucleus.
It have been recorded in Messier 99:
- in June 1967 (Mag: +14.0)
- 16th December 1972 (Mag: +15.6)
- 17th May 1986 (Mag: +14.0)
- probable supernova 2014 Â – Â discovered January 26, 2014 (Mag: +15.4)
- Website: Â http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/7030-possible-supernova-in-m99/
- Sky Chart: Â Messier 99 in Coma Berenices.
- Photo of the constellation: Â Coma Berenices, as it appears to the naked-eye. (Lines have been added for clarity.)