- life is only known to exist on Earth. (see the photo)
- life on Earth probably began 3.8 billion years ago. (diagram)
- first life form – probably bacteria that lived in very hot water around underwater volcanoes. (photo)
- most scientists believe that life’s basic chemicals formed on Earth – others think that they came from space, maybe on comets. (diagram)
- basic organic chemicals – amino acids have been detached in nebulae and meteorites.
- huge lightening flashes may have caused big organic molecules to form on he earth when it was young.
- earth is suitable for life because of its gas atmosphere – surface water and moderately warm temperatures. (diagram)
Did you know?
- Saturn’s icy moon – Titan, has evidence of organic (life) chemicals in Titan’s atmosphere. (More information: wikipedia)
- Jupiter’s moon – Europa, probably has water below its surface, which could spawn lie? (More information: wikipedia)
Back to The Universe page.