Extraterrestrial (ET) means `outside the Earth`
Some scientists believe that ET life could develop
anywhere in the Universe where there is a flow of energy.
- Most scientists believe that if there is ET life anywhere else in the Universe – it is probably based on the chemistry of carbon, as life on Earth is.
- if civilisations exist elsewhere – they maybe on planets circling other stars.
- There is no proof that any ET life form has ever visited Earth.
- Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) is a program for analysing radio signals from space for signs of intelligent life.
- Arecibo Observatory at Puerto Rico (photo) – beaming out a signal to distant stars to try to communicate with extraterrestrial life. (more information: wikipedia)
Did you know?
- The US Spacecraft Probes – Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11 are flown away from our Earth into deep space with picture message by gold plaques about life on Earth.
- Pioneer 10 is heading away from our Earth generally in the direction of the red star Aldebaran (68 light-years away) – the eye of The Bull in the constellation of Taurus (The Bull). Pioneer 10 should arrive at Aldebaran in 2 million years time
- The other outward bound Pioneer 11 is headed into the constellation of Aquila (The Eagle). In four million years time, Pioneer 11 will pass near one of the stars in that constellation.
Back to The Universe page.