The Oort Cloud is named for Jan Oort, the Dutch astronomer
who predicted its existence in the 1950s.
- outside Neptune’s orbit is the Kuiper Belt.
- beyond the fringes of the Kuiper belt is the Oort Cloud.
- unlike the orbits of the planets and the Kuiper Belt, which are pretty flat like a disk.
- it’s a giant spherical shell surrounding the sun, planets, and Kuiper Belt Objects.
he Oort cloud comprises two regions;
1) There is a spherical outer Oort cloud, and a disc shaped inner cloud called the Hills cloud.
2) Objects in the Oort Cloud are mostly composed of water ice, ammonia and methane.
- formation – the leading idea for the formation of the Oort Cloud says that these icy objects were not always so far from the Sun – after the planets formed 4.6 billion years ago, the region in which they formed still contained lots of leftover chunks called planetesimals.
Planets to the edge of the Oort Cloud
- Asteroids Belt
- Jupiter’s Galilean moons
- Saturn’s Ring
- Oort Cloud